Freightliner 114SD CNG Plow
Freightliner Trucks says its SD severe-duty truck lineup has the right solution for the toughest weather—featuring best-in-class visibility, enhanced maneuverability for tight situations, and many other industry-specific innovations.
Freightliner 108SD. Typically used for a 4x2 city plow or spreader, this truck ideal for one-way front plows with short BBC (bumper to back of cab) and small bore engines, and can be spec’d with an engine that runs up to 330 hp.
Freightliner 114SD. Ideal for larger 6x4 front plows, mid-mount wing plows, belly scrapers and large-capacity spreaders, this truck is typically used for highway and interstate clearing. The 114SD utilizes up to a 13L engine displacement with ratings up to 470 hp and 1,650 lb-ft torque. For those interested in alternative fuel offerings, the 114SD also offers the Cummins Westport ISL G natural gas engine along with factory-installed CNG fuel tanks.
Key features on both models
Both Freightliner SD models include several features that enhance overall operational efficiency.
- Front engine PTO drives the plow blade hydraulic pump
- Inside/outside air intake helps maintain engine performance during snow removal operations
- Steel reinforced cab, integral front frame extension, and snowplow crossmember behind the cab further reinforce the trucks’ strength and durability
- Superior visibility with large, 2,500-square-inch windshields and an aerodynamic sloped hood
- Plow light wiring hook-ups power the driving lights when the headlights are blocked by plow blades
- Heated windshield with arctic wiper blades prevents ice buildup and allows smooth wiper operation
"With shifts often lasting 12 hours or more, the 114SD and 108SD are designed with the driver in mind," says Greg Treinen, vocational segment manager for Freightliner Trucks. "Features such as multi-adjustable seating options, easily accessible gauges and controls, and a T-handle shift within easy reach minimize driver fatigue and contribute to overall comfort."