Environmental Science, a division of Bayer CropScience LP, has launched Bayer Specticle G. Bayer says this is a versatile, pre-emergent herbicide that provides up to six months of broad-spectrum weed control for use in landscapes, including mulched areas and around ornamentals, and in warm-season turf. The active ingredient in Specticle controls weeds by inhibiting cellulose biosynthesis. Its primary site of action is the newly developing root of a weed seedling.
- Protects against a broad spectrum of more than 80 grassy and broadleaf weeds, as well as annual sedges
- Requires up to 40 times less active ingredient than current standards, Bayer points out, resulting in significantly less herbicide placed in the environment
- Applicator-friendly formulation will not stain or leave any odor behind after treatment
- Formulated for convenient storage, measuring and spreading
- Apply the product at 100 to 200 pounds per acre (2.3 to 4.6 pounds per 1000 sq. ft.) around ornamentals
- A subsequent application can be made within 90 days after the initial application to extend weed control provided that the total amount of product applied does not exceed 400 pounds per acre (9.2 pounds per 1000 sq. ft.) in a 12-month period