NaturaLawn of America recently announced The Dan Collins Scholarship Award in memory of Dan Collins, a past franchise owner who passed away from cancer in 2005. Headquartered in Frederick, Maryland, NaturaLawn of America is a national franchise with 90 locations, servicing over 100,000 customers in 24 states and the District of Columbia.
Collins was a larger-than-life gentleman who always had a funny story to share, an encouraging word for his fellow owners and a big heart for giving his best to help others. His efforts in promoting NaturaLawn and his franchise in the Richmond, Virginia area can be summed up by a simple five-word question, which he was so fond of saying: Can I get you started?
In honor of Collins, the NaturaLawn of America franchise system created the scholarship to help students with the cost of higher education. The scholarship currently provides a one-time $4,000 stipend to the winning student to be used towards his or her college education. The award is open to high school seniors or full-time undergrads. To enter, students are required to submit two essays, along with proof of enrollment in a high school, or a college or university.
Application submissions to The Dan Collins Scholarship Award (including all essays, letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc.) should be postmarked no later than April 30, 2019, for this year's award.
In addition to the completed application and a possible interview with NaturaLawn of America management, the following criteria are considered during the decision process:
- Whether the applicant is a current high school senior, or enrolled as a full-time student in a two-year associate degree or four-year bachelor degree college/university program.
- A transcript showing a high school or current college/university grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5.
- A one-page essay explaining why you should receive this award.
- A one-page essay recounting how you may use your degree and knowledge gained from your education.
- Up to three letters of recommendation.
- Whether the applicant is a NaturaLawn employee's child.
- Whether the student is enrolled in or has experience in the field of turf-grass management.
To apply, please click here.