The national small business movement Independent We Stand announced Trio Hardware & Paint as the recipient of the 2013 Independent We Stand Independent Small Business of the Year Award sponsored by Chrysler Group. The family-owned hardware store has 15 employees and has been in business for 50 years.
“Local communities came together to stand by their favorite businesses in towns across America,” said Bill Brunelle, executive director of Independent We Stand. “Trio Hardware & Paint goes above and beyond in customer service, making it easy for their customers to sing their praises. The Plainview community even rallied to keep a big box home retailer from coming to their town to ensure Trio could continue to survive and thrive.”
“As a small business, perception on price is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. We focus on educating consumers about the economic benefits of shopping, and providing great customer service from knowing our customers to offering advice and our expertise,” said Todd Kirschner, co-owner of Trio Hardware & Paint, which is a Do it Best hardware store.
Trio Hardware & Paint will receive prizes with a combined value of more than $15,000, including:
- $5,000 American Express gift card from Chrysler Group
- $1,000 Stihl equipment certificate redeemable at one of more than 8,000 local dealers nationwide
- “Small Business Web Starter Package” from independent web design firm Launch Interactive or ARI Network Services that includes custom website layout design and programming with a location page with Google map integration and web traffic reporting
- Three day/two night stay at an independent beach resort hotel in Virginia Beach, VA, as well as a tour of the Stihl Inc. headquarters and dinner with the Independent We Stand team
- Plaque to display at their business
- Five-minute video to be featured on the Independent We Stand YouTube Channel
- Public relations and social media recognition
Bruce Carlow, the other co-owner of Trio Hardware & Paint said, “The website design package and $5,000 gift certificate will be extremely beneficial in helping to improve our business and allow us to better serve our customers and employees.”
The ten submissions that received the highest number of public votes were deemed finalist submissions. The winner of “The Indie” was chosen by a panel of contest judges.
The top 10 finalists were:
- A. Dodson's, a retail gift shop in Suffolk, VA
- Afterwords Books, a bookstore in Edwardsville, IL
- Authentic Haven Brand Natural Brew, a premium tea company in San Juan Capistrano, CA
- Charis Books and More, a bookstore in Atlanta, GA
- Cornells True Value Hardware, a hardware store in Eastchester, NY
- Ju-Ju Monkey, a retail shop in Allentown, PA
- Matt's Building Materials, a lumberyard and hardware store in Pharr, TX
- Mike's Community Cup, a coffee shop in SeaTac, WA
- Seth Broudy School of Surf, a surf school in Virginia Beach, VA
- Trio Hardware & Paint, a hardware store in Plainview, NY