Do you and your employees take great pride in your commitment to safety? If so, participating in the industry-wide STARS program can put you in the top 5% of landscaping or lawn care companies—giving you a local marketing edge while also helping you to lower your risk and costs.
The STARS Safe Company Program (Safety Training Achieves Remarkable Success) from PLANET is a free safety initiative. PLANET says the STARS program helps companies lower their total costs of risk by reducing hazards and injuries.
Participants of the program are asked to sign a Safe Company Pledge that commits their company to:
- Follow the guidelines in the Safety Program for Green Industry Companies (CD) for developing a safe company
- Establish an active safety committee within their company
- Conduct regular safety-awareness training
- Document, measure and investigate every accident
- Meet OSHA posting and regulatory requirements
- Enter the annual PLANET/CNA Safety Recognition Awards Program
- Share their best safety practices with their fellow STARS members
- Encourage others to become STARS members
Promote your elite status. As of June 16, roughly 1,630 companies were participating in STARS. While an incredible number, that represents less than 3% of landscaping and lawn care companies nationwide. In other words, becoming a STARS member puts you in pretty elite company—giving you something valuable to promote in your local marketing efforts.
PLANET provides new STARS members with a press release template that can be used to inform local media. Simply pop in your company name and other details, and it’s ready to send to local newspapers and radio and TV stations, etc.
Get things started with the Safety Program for Green Industry Companies CD. This safety program can be used as is or customized to meet your companies’ specific needs.
The CD includes:
- A comprehensive Company Safety Policy on topics, including motor vehicle safety, preventing back injuries, return-to-work/modified duty programs, chemical safety, reporting and investigating accidents, complying with OSHA and more
- Guidance to companies on implementing and further developing the Company Safety Policy, in the form of checklists and tips
- More than 50 ready-to-use forms, sample policies, payroll stuffers and other safety ideas successfully used by others in the Green Industry; many of these forms are provided in Spanish
- Resources for additional information
Time to make safety a priority. Everybody wants to maintain a safe company. But let’s face it, landscaping and lawn care can be a dangerous business. Company owners are also wearing a lot of hats. The STARS program can prove to be an invaluable tool in helping implement safety training in your company, while also ensuring that it remains embedded in your company culture month after month, year after year.