The Irrigation Association has announced preparations for Smart Irrigation Month, an initiative dedicated to increasing public awareness of the value of water-use efficiency, and water-saving products, practices and services. All industry professionals and companies are invited to participate.
Taking place in July, traditionally the month of peak demand in North America, the campaign is designed to:
- Educate homeowners, businesses, growers and other users about simple ways to save money and water.
- Encourage industry firms and professionals to promote smart irrigation practices and technologies to customers.
- Help water providers minimize peak water use and reduce demands on infrastructure in their communities.
- Reinforce the role efficient irrigation plays in providing real solutions to today’s water challenges.
First launched in 2005, Smart Irrigation Month is gaining traction as stakeholders recognize the potential impact of efficient irrigation in July and year-round. “July is a peak water-use month that warrants heightened attention. This is also a real opportunity for companies in the irrigation industry to differentiate themselves and add value for customers by promoting water-saving products, practices and services. Participants in Smart Irrigation Month campaigns have proudly reported increased sales and new customers. This results in more beautiful, productive and water-efficient landscapes and farms for everyone to enjoy while conserving one of our most precious natural resources,” says Dave Magner, sales and business development manager at Rain Bird and chair of IA’s Smart Irrigation Month Committee.
Smart Marketing Contest. Following the campaign, participants are invited to submit their marketing materials by August 31, 2012 and participate in the Smart Marketing Contest. The contest recognizes winners in both agriculture and turf/landscape categories. Entries are judged on messaging, quality, creativity and integration of the Smart Irrigation Month mission. The contest is free to IA members and, for the first time, is open to nonmembers for a nominal fee.
Free Resources and Ideas. Industry professionals can find contest details, resources and promotion ideas at www.smartirrigationmonth.org. Free resources include:
- Smart Tips for Smart Irrigation Month e-newsletter with ideas for participating in the campaign.
- Webinar featuring suggestions and success stories for manufacturers, dealers and distributors, contractors and water providers.
- Smart Irrigation Month logo artwork for your website and marketing materials.
- Articles for customer and employee newsletters.
- Sample proclamation for your local government to declare July as Smart Irrigation Month.
- Statement stuffers with simple watering tips.
- Pre-recorded public service announcements.
- Sample press release for local media.
- Coloring and puzzle book to distribute at schools and community events.